Pocket Full of Change Ministries

This blog needed a name. Somehow, Divine Encounters While Living In a Hotel didn’t work. Besides, the Bible word for hotel is Inn. I asked Facebook friends for help. I narrowed 40 amazing suggestions to 7 and gave it back to Facebook for a vote. INNCounters, submitted by my best friend, Nancy Edwards, won by a landslide. Join the INNCounters God sends my way.

Tuesday, August 28, 2012

INNCounters that Go Bump In the Night


By Cheryle M. Touchton
Director – Pocket Full of Change Ministries


Terrors startle him on every side and dog his every step.
Calamity is hungry for him; disaster is ready for him when he falls. Job 18:11-12 NIV


Yes, I live in an INN. It is a nice one, as Inns go. However, when you share an INN filled with all of your stuff, a husband, dog, and cat, things do not always go as you hope. This blog is about a different kind of INNCounter – the kind that happens in the middle of the night - the kind that startles me on every side and dogs my every step – the kind that goes “bump” in the night.

I wake at least once each night to make my way quietly in the dark to the facility. I sleep next to the window. There is about 1.5 feet between the window and the bed, just enough room for Belle the Missionary Dog’s bed. As I make my way around the bed, I have to negotiate getting between the foot of the bed and the dresser, just wide enough to open the drawer – about a foot. Next, I have to cross into the closet and sink area where our giant noise-masking fan blocks the way. The tiny bathroom is crowded with pet food and water bowls, making the final steps of my obstacle course the most tricky.

As I stumbled sleepily out of bed, my first INNCounter was Belle, who yipped and ran when I stepped on her. I regained my footing, turned the corner, and I yelped when I hit my shin on a partially open drawer. Bob lay sleeping peacefully, undisturbed by my first two INNCounters.

The third INNCounter came when I tripped over Belle who was standing on the other side of the bed, waiting for me to move so she could get back to bed. I grabbed the bed to stabilize myself and Bob kept sleeping.

My fourth INNCounter was when I ran into the fan, sending it crashing to the ground. Bob began yelling, “What happened? What happened? Are you OK?”

“Go back to sleep Bob,” I urged, far from OK. My fifth and final INNCounter came when I inched my way into the tiny bathroom and stepped into the surprisingly cold bowl of water. Screaming, I sent water everywhere as I regained my footing and removed the soggy sock.

Cheryle?” Bob hollered. “Do you need help?”

“Yes,” I said. “But not the kind you can give.” That must have satisfied him because I never heard another peep.

I wish I could tell you that those INNCounters happened only once, but alas, I’ve had similar INNCounters most nights. I have not stepped on Belle again because she jumps up and bolts every single time I move and I move a lot. While Bob still seems to be able to get a good night’s sleep, Belle does not.

Yes, my Inn has things that go bump in the night. Those things all involve Belle and me.


For More Information About Pocket Full of Change Ministries
E-mail Cheryle
Visit Pocket Full of Change Ministries

To Help Lead People To Jesus and Follow Up With Discipleship Materials
Donate Here


No comments:

Post a Comment